Saturday, August 23, 2008

Leadership Article

I came across an article this week that struck a cord with me. It’s from a new on-line newsletter titled “Leadership Wired”. The article is “Why Leaders Fail” by Mark Sanborn (author of “The Fred Factor” and “You Don’t Need a Title to be a Leader”).

It struck a cord with me for two reasons. First, personally it reminded me of some basic principles that I don’t think about in the commotion of everyday life. Second, it seems very on point with concepts I have been discussing with students that I am coaching.

While reading this article (which I printed) I underlined the following:
Warning Sign #1: A Shift in Focus
“. . . what is your primary focus? If you can’t write it on the back of your business card, then your leadership suffers from lack of clarity.”

Warning Sign #2: Poor Communication
“Lack of focus disorients a leader and sets the stage for poor communication.”

Warning Sign #3: Risk Aversion
“Leaders on the verge of breakdown fear failure rather than desiring success.”
“Which is more important to you: the journey or the destination?”

Warning Sign #4: Ethics Slip
“A leader’s credibility depends upon two qualities: what he or she does (competency) and who he or she is (character). Deficiencies in either quality create an integrity problem.”

Warning Sign #5: Poor Self-Management
“Self-preservation isn’t selfish – it’s vital to the health of those you lead.”

Warning Sign #6: Lost Love
“Why did I initially pursue leadership? Have those reasons changed? Do I still want to lead?”

I hope that some part of this is helpful to you in some way.

No comments: